Wow, what a year! 2022 was easily one of the hardest years so far for me and my family. We really dealt with a lot of hardship, loss, and change. But we made it through and it's time to celebrate the good that happened. However, I do also want to share the lows as well because sometimes we put such a pressure on ourselves to live a "perfect" life on social media. And sometimes life isn't just a bunch of pretty pictures (or doodles).
- Mom & Dad both had several health scares. It was hard, but I am so glad I am living with them and can help wherever I can.
- We lost my childhood cat, Shadow, in April. I miss him so much every single day.
- We also lost my high school art teacher, Mr. Pyng, in September. I will always carry his legacy in my art and remain forever grateful that he was part of my life. It was such an honor to be asked to speak at his memorial.
- I really need to get outside more!! I spent way too much time indoors this year.
HIGHLIGHTS (GOOD & BAD)
-Read 56 books! (108% of my goal)
-Taught myself crochet / amigurumi (This has been SO FUN!)
- Kari moved back to Madison! And so did Alyssa! YAY having friends in the area!!
- Created a personal instagram account (@katidoodlesdiary) to continue on this journey of separating myself from my art.
- Reconnected with a lot of old friends from both Highschool & College
- Was promoted to Senior Designer at Joyin! Super excited to be taking on more toy projects & growing as a designer every day through work.
- Adopted my kitten, Felix, who truly was the best part of my year by far.
- Created a series of fan art that merged Barbie Extra & Disney Princesses together.
Here are some of the goals I achieved this year!
GOALS FOR 2022
- Read 52 books (one a week!) ✔️
- Create more with a focus on my own growth as an artist✔️
- Rebuild my relationship with social media in a healthier way by slowly creating content again with my new perspective in mind. ✔️
- Keep working hard at my job & learning as much as I can about the Toy Industry. ✔️
I am really proud of the work I did this year, in reconnecting with myself and feeling much more like a human than I have in recent years.
So with that, here are my goals for next year!
GOALS FOR 2023
- Read 52 books
- Get back into walking again! Play lots of Nintendo Switch Sports & Ring Fit, too. Maybe get Felix & Jasmine a cat stroller so I can take them out?
- Get back into crafting. Sew some plushies & sculpt some dolls with clay!
- Complete a full sketchbook. Try to draw for fun once a day.
And, as always, I'll leave you with the MEGA RECAP of my art since 2011 when I first started this tradition. Making my inner-child so proud, each and every day. Love you, lil Kati.
Have a wonderful New Year! Wishing you all the best.
ART SUMMARIES (2011-2022)
Who is Kati?
I'm a fairy mermaid muppet princess who doodles much. I'm an illustrator, character designer, and toy designer with a passion for TV animation and toys! I love pink, purple, glitter, and all things cute! I received my BFA in Illustration from the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design in 2019 and am currently located in Madison, Wisconsin.